July 30, 2011
Not much to say about this one except that I didn’t get out much past the breakwater. The chop was pretty bad and I had a difficult time getting the main up. By the time I stopped fighting and lowered the main, I decided to try the jib, though furled. Even that didn’t’ work, and I decided to go back in.
In retrospect, if I had tried the jib first — again partially furled — I probably could have gotten going for awhile. I just don’t seem to be able to make these synaptic decisions consistently. And it’s making me crazy.
July 30, 2011
My wife and I got out on the water around 5:00 pm today, which was probably two hours after the optimum time to go out. Obviously the optimum time wasn’t at 10 in the morning, but by the time we went out, we were fighting a losing battle against diminishing wind.
I will say that every time we changed direction, we worked well together, though it would be nice if my wife was thinking about changing direction or deciding where we want to go for a change.
What’s not been working well is trying to really get on all points of sail. I tried really hard to sail close hauled Saturday, and perhaps because of the diminishing wind, I couldn’t make much headway. Mind, you a couple of others couldn’t either, but they certainly seemed to be doing better than I was. I know in the case of the Catalina 22 that they did better with just the wind, but I’m wondering if a couple of the larger boats were actually using some of the iron wind as well. They seemed to get toward the bay so easily that I suspect they were using more than one source of propulsion.
As might be imagined, with almost no wind, docking was a breeze — there just wasn’t enough out there to move the boat. I hate when that happens.