August 19, 2011
Now what I was thinking as I went back home after having no time on the water on August 12 is: how can I jury-rig a solution to this problem of controlling the tiller. I figured if I could attach the boat tiller to the tiller of the engine, I could move the boat tiller and at the same time, move the engine tiller for double the turning power! Genius, I know. So, I went to the marina, measured the distance between the two tillers (27 inches) and figured out I had to make cut outs on the end to accommodate the two tillers. The idea was to make the cutouts, then drill holes toward the ends into which I could put those bungee cords with a loop on one end and a plastic ball on the other end that could be wrapped around the tillers keeping them secure. So I set out to do just that.
At home, I found an old piece of molding that was perhaps 36 inches or so long, and I was able to cut that easily. Cutting out the areas so the device would hug the tillers was more difficult. I do have a hand held jigsaw, though my lack of general “handiness” came through as I kind of “munched up” the ends. But, I cut them out and figured I could always use duct tape to mask the poor cutting job. Drilling the holes was easy, except that I needed to purchase a larger drill bit — no big deal. And finally, I completed the genius device which is pictured below:
Tomorrow, I get to try it out!