August 17, 2017
The plan was simple: given the poor weather on August 16th, I decided to mow the lawn that day and head out to the marina on Thursday. Simple, right? Well, except for the fact that the weather was a little challenging at 3:45 – 4:00 o’clock when I decided to head out. But, I needed to head out to make the marina charges worth it, so I sucked it up and headed out of the slip. A neighboring sailboat wished me well, and I still wondered if going out made sense.
As I ventured out of the fairway, I raised the main with the single reef point, yet still thought I had too much sail out. This required me to pull down the mainsail to the second reef point — even though I don’t have the hardware to do that. Well, I accomplished it anyway by tying the ropes for the second reef point and just looped a separate rope in the aft location where I would normally have placed the single reefing line. But this begs the question: if you have to put in a second reef point before going sailing, why are you going sailing at all? Good question.
I did head out and found the sailing to be less than pleasant. First, there was a navy vessel close by that was doing tests or playing — who knows? It was going back and forth from the marina to Solomons Island, which is a couple of nautical miles away. The vessel was big enough that the wake it created was hellacious, and did a number on a poor little 25 foot sailboat. And the weather was chancy too, with light sprinkling and heavy clouds and I couldn’t tell is they were coming in to produce more rain, or heading out.
I fought it for about 30 minutes and made it almost to the beach area before just coming in. I started Hercules and headed back, but at the same time was annoyed that the one day I could come out this week ended this way.
The ultimate disappointment was when I finally got close to the breakwater and saw that the sky was clearing, the navy vessel was put away, and the day was probably going to be good the sailing. This was confirmed when I saw Bay Break in the marina raising his main and heading out. I might have followed him except I was worried about my fuel levels with Hercules and didn’t want to be stranded. As I was tying up, I could see Bay Break in the distance beating toward the bay.
I guess since he conquered haste, he had a good day out, and if I had just waited about 45 minutes I could have had one, too.
Engine 35 minutes
Sails Double reefed sails
Chop, current High, with lots of wake action from large vessel
Wind About 10
Time 1.5 hours